COVID-19 has really had me on a kick of smoking meats. Like, a lot of them. One of my favorites is chicken wings. Here’s my go-to rub recipe (works for BBQ, Buffalo, basically anything!) and cooking directions:
5-6 lbs chicken wings
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Table Spoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Teaspoon Cayenne
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
2 Teaspoons Salt
3 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1. Lay all your wings out in paper towels and pat them dry.
2. Combine all the spices into a big bowl
3. Throw your wings into the rub and rub the mix into the wings well. I wear a glove for easy cleanup after I’m done
4. Throw the wings into a Ziploc bag and let them sit for at least an hour.
5. Heat your smoker to 225-250 degrees. I use a smoker box on my grill, it works amazingly well.
6. Add your wood/chunks/chips. Generally for Chicken I use cherry wood, but the choice is truly yours and is the fun of experimenting.
7. Smoke for 2 to 2.5 hours. You really want a constant smoke for at least an hour and a half.
8. Once the wings hit 160 degrees you’re just about done. I like my wings crispy, so I fire up the burners to medium/high and grill wings on each side for a couple of minutes. Let them rest and you’re good to go! Make sure to eat a wing before your sauce them, you may not want to sauce them at all because they’re so freaking good!
Tag(s): Team SLV