Cavatelli with Pepperoni Sauce
Servings: Should serve 4 people, in our house this serves 2 :)
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 sticks of pepperoni
2 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
2 large sprigs fresh basil
2 bags of Cavatelli
1. Chop half a white onion and crush and dice 2-3 cloves of garlic. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat; warm the crushed garlic and onion in the oil until fragrant, being careful not to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Cut pepperoni in to thick slices, then cut thick slices in to halves. Peel off casing.
3. Add pepperoni to onion and garlic mixture, open cans of crushed tomatoes and add to mixture as well.
4. Add basil to sauce. Add olive oil if necessary to achieve a shimmering look off the sauce.
5. Put sauce on medium-high heat and let it come to a bubble, and then lower to simmer for 1-1.5 hours. Stir regularly, making sure the sauce doesn't burn on the bottom. (pro tip: test pepperoni at any time to see progress, when pepperoni is tender to the bite, sauce is ready. Sauce and pepperoni is best when cooked at low for 1-1.5 hrs.)
6. Boil water and add cavatelli, follow package directions.
7. Toss pasta and sauce, and serve
Tag(s): Team SLV