skip navigation

Northstar Capital City Classic: Update From The Directors #3

By NCCC Staff, 05/12/20, 3:00PM EDT


Good afternoon,

We have been closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation since the day we began our “stay at home” order, making decisions with the well-being of our participants and communities in mind. Following the NYS Governor’s published reopening plan, we are optimistic that regional portions of the State will begin to reopen this Friday, 5/15. With that said, based on sporting events’ position in the 4-Phase reopening plan, and with everyone’s health, safety, and sanity in mind, we have decided to postpone the Northstar Capital City Classic to our back-up date, August 22-23, 2020. Additionally, it is expected that tomorrow (5/13) the NCAA will vote to extend the recruiting dead period through June. 

It is unlikely that UAlbany is able to host us in August due to its anticipated campus schedule; as such, the NCCC will be held at Gavin Park in Saratoga Springs, NY. Gavin Park is approximately 30 minutes north of UAlbany, and a quality site at which we have hosted events since 2013. Additionally, to maintain maximum flexibility based on the continued uncertainty of group regulations, the unique circumstances of your summer schedules, and the travel/hotel comfort levels of your families, we have added two additional/potential days to our reservation, to include Thursday August 20th and Friday August 21st.

We will use your feedback and aim to collect a critical mass by division, across any number of the four possible playing days (Thursday 8/20 - Sunday 8/23). We will make the best decision possible in everyone’s best interest. We are in this together!

  • •    Next Steps: Next to each of the options below, please indicate your group’s preference: “First Choice” or “OK” or “No”

1.    Thursday 8/20 - Friday 8/21
2.    Saturday 8/22 - Sunday 8/23
3.    1 Day Only [please list preferred day]
4.    All 4 days  

Your registration will automatically roll over to the new date. If any of the new dates don’t work for your group for any reason, please see attached for your options. Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you are not able to join us, and your choice as it relates to your funds. If you are not sure at this time, please let us know that as well.

  • •    Balance Charges: On 3/18 we bumped the 4/1 balance charge to 5/1, and then again to 6/1. We will continue to delay the balance due date until we have a clearer picture of what lies ahead, as not to add any additional burden.
  • •    Lodging: If you’ve made your lodging arrangements for the original event dates through PSE, our housing coordinator, Jaime Story will reach out to you with new hotel options within the week. Initial reservations will be cancelled and deposits paid will be refunded. You will receive a note directly from PSE regarding the cancellation and refunds will be processed as quickly as possible but may be delayed based on the volume of adjustments they are working through nationally. A new reservation link will be available to make arrangements for the new August dates shortly. An up-front deposit will not be required for these reservations. Stay tuned for more from us in this regard. If you need immediate assistance or have questions before the new hotel options are available, please contact Jaime Story ( to assist you. Please provide Jaime a response time of 24-48hrs., but rest assured, she will assist you.

              NOTE: Gavin Park is approximately 30 minutes (35 miles on I-87N) from UAlbany; Albany-based hotel arrangements may still be preferred by your families depending on rate and convenience.

While this is an unprecedented circumstance and the future remains uncertain, lacrosse tradition is unique and has the capacity to bring out the best in people; we sincerely hope for the opportunity to host you and your families on the field this summer. In the meantime, thoughts and prayers remain with all who have been affected by the Coronavirus, those serving on the front lines, and with our lacrosse family.

We will closely follow the Capital District’s progression through the phased reopening process, and will continue to provide updates as relevant. 

Blake, Ashley, and the NCCC team