NORTHSTAR CAPITAL CITY WINTER CLASSIC RULES
Girls 2023-2026 will utilize National Federation High School Rules (NFHS); & 2027-2028 divisions will utilize the US Lacrosse rules with the following exceptions;
- Eligibility: It is the responsibility of each team to ensure that all players meet age eligibility requirements for the division in which they participate, as published on the tournament website and Terms & Conditions. If a team is unable to take the field at their scheduled game time, and/or must borrow players from another team to play, they will forfeit the game, jeopardizing their playoff eligibility. Final decisions will be made by Tournament Directors.
- Timing: All games will consist of one (1) 26-minute, running time period. Time will be kept at each field. Penalties will be 1-minute running time. Yellow cards are non-releasable 1-minute fouls. Any player receiving (2) yellow cards in one game will be removed from that game. Any player receiving a red card will serve a non-releasable 2-minute penalty, will be removed from that game, and potentially their next game. *Note – game duration may be shortened by the mutual agreement of participating teams. Also, at the discretion of the tournament organizers, game times may be shortened due to inclement weather, or to keep the tournament on schedule. Officials may stop time at their discretion.
- Gameplay: Games will consist of a 7 v 7 format, 6 field players and a goalie per side. There will be no restraining line, but typical boundary rules will otherwise apply, to include off-sides enforced at the midline (2 field player + GK stay back). “On the Fly” substitutions are permitted, but must be from the designated sub box. One draw per game, goalies will initiate the clear after each goal.
- 2023-2026 Divisions will utilize:
- Self-Start Exceptions: All fouls in CSA, off sides violations, alternate possession situations, carding situations, and on any stoppage of the game clock.
- Overtime: Overtime will follow the completion of a tied game; format will be 4v4 (3+GK), no subs, sudden victory to determine a winner.
- Delay of Game: Teams may be assessed a delay of game penalty if not ready to begin play at the scheduled time; games may be shortened at the discretion of the organizers to keep game times on schedule.
- Tie Breaks & Re-Seeds: Refer to the SLV Tournament Tie-Break Formula for all divisions
- Timeouts: There are no timeouts granted in regulation or overtime. Only an official may stop the game.
- Alternating Possession: In the event of alternate possession, discretion is left to game official(s).
- Checking: All divisions will play full checking, unless a 14U coach requests transitional checking. In this case, transitional checking in accordance with USL 14U Rules will be mandated.
- Goalies: Goalkeepers are encouraged to wear thigh pads and shin guards; no penalty will be assessed if they chose not to.
- Expulsion, Ejection, or Fighting: To the discretion of officials and/or tournament directors, any participant (player, coach, team official, or spectator) who is ejected during tournament play, on or off the playing field, may be subject to a one or more game suspension, up to automatic disqualification from the tournament. Any player or coach called for verbal abuse will serve a one-minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Continued abuse will result in ejection from the contest, and potentially the tournament.
- Summit Society: All teams, coaches, players, parents and team officials must adhere to the Summit Lacrosse Society. No profanity or unsportsmanlike conduct will be tolerated. Offending team(s) may be disqualified.
SLV TOURNAMENT TIE-BREAK FORMULA: ALL DIVISIONS
In reseeding teams or in any other tie-break situation, the following tournament tie-breaker will be utilized:
- Head to head competition; all tied teams must have played each other for this to apply;
- Fewest goals allowed;
- Highest goal differential, total goals scored (12 goals per game max, in a full-length game), less total goals given up; In the event of a forfeit, the score will be recorded as 13-7 for any full-length game.
- For shortened games, ex. CCWC (26-minute games), max goal differential per game will be 6. A forfeit will be recorded as 7-4.
- Most goals scored;
- Coin toss
NOTE: After each level of criteria is utilized, the tie-break resets. Example: If there is a 3-way tie, and one team secures a seed/slot based on goals against, the tie-break resets to head-to-head for the next seed/slot if relevant.
In reseeding teams for the playoff rounds, the tournament will try to avoid duplicate games between teams unless the game is still in the divisional championship stream. For consolation games, staff will look to schedule opponents based on whether or not they have already played.